It was definitely a case of preparing for the worst and hoping for the best today. The forecast was for a 70% chance of precipitation and driving up from Welches to Govy to Timberline it seemed as through it was going to be accurate.
As soon as I walked into the Wy'east day lodge I went to the ticket counter and asked if we were on "stand-by" and to my surprise both the Magic Mile as well as the Palmer lift were scheduled to open. No sooner did we get our lift tickets that the cloud cover started to slightly break up.
Conditions were quite challenging but the TR2 athletes kept hammering GS even with visiblity no more than 3 panels down the hill. Coaches up and down the lanes dismissed the griping by advising their racers that someday they will be faced with these same conditions on race day.
Surprisingly we skied until 11:00 AM on a day that originally we throught would be a wash out. Skiing down from the top of Palmer to the parking lot was no picnic. At the top the visibility was reduced to almost nothing and amazingly the lower we skied the clearer it became.
One more day of SL for Sailer Camp and Team Gilboa while TR2 enjoys a day off between GS and SL sessions. The weather forecast for Wednesday looks worse than it did today so we are again planning for the worst and hoping for the best.